Beautiful Corpse - Episode 5

Posted by மாயா | | Posted On Thursday at 5:14 PM

Day 1: 5.30 PM, GH




Hi. I am Muthu govindan, Inspector of police. This is Pavalakodi, SI.”Muthu and paval shook hands with a tall well dressed woman in her twenties.


“Hi, Iam Anu. Dr.Anu.”




“So, can we have a look at the locker ?”


“Yes, this way please.”They walked for a while.”How well do you know Priya?”




Anu was silent for a moment , then she said “I am one of her best friends. At work and at home. I live in block B.”




“Oh, You had a night shift or something?”




“I stayed back at my friend’s place and came early for an operation. I still can’t believe what has happened”.




“This is it” She showed one of the shabby looking metal lockers with its doors wide open (pried open). There were people looking into the room whispering within themselves.




“who saw it first?”


“I did. It was locked in the morning. But when I came in to change to go home, I saw it. It was like this when I came.”


“Where would the key be normally.?”




“She is a little forgetful, so she always leaves it in the draw there.”


“Whoever did this knew that it would be there. What does she have inside? any idea.?




“ She usually has a book or two of her novels and some sheets of paper. Her letters, those she doesn’t.. didn’t want anyone at home to look at.”




“Wait, Do you mean she had a lover.?”




Anu looked at him and smiled sadly. “You saw her. You tell me.”


“Yeah. Who is he?”




“He is a doctor too. He works with me.”




“Is he around now?”


“He? No sir. He went out of station.”


“when?”


“Lastnight”


“Last night?”




“That is what he said. He was to fly to Bangalore last night for a doctor’s seminar.”
“Anyone else went with him?”


“ I guess I can check that for you, if you can wait “she said and made few calls. She came in a few minutes with a phone number. “This is the number of a colleague who is attending the seminar right now. The seminar must be over for the day, we can call him.” she said.




“Please do”




“Hello arvind? Anu here. Yeah..How was the seminar. Good? Oh you have heard!. Who told you? sapna? mm. It’s hard.” fresh tears appeared from her eyes. “Listen can you do me a favor?. Can you check and tell whether Nandhan is there?”




“ You sure? oh ok.. ok arvind I will call back later. Thank you.”




“what he is not there?”




“Yes, After knowing the news during the lunch time Arvind had invariably searched for any of his colleagues to share the news. He tried to reach Nandhan. He couldn’t find him, even through phone. So he had called in the hotel where they are booked to stay whether he was in the room .”


“And they said he hadn’t even checked in, right?”




“yes.”




“I thought so. Paval make a note to call varadhan to check whether he was on the passenger list of any plane that took off last night to b’lore. And have you informed the forensic people? We might get a print” muthu followed paval’s eyes where there was a box full of surgical gloves.




“Right . No prints then. OK, Did Priya have any other male friends.?” He asked Anu.




“She had many friends but none like Nandhan. Actually nobody knows about them except me. She was planning to tell her parents about them after her internship. But Nandhan was asking her to wait until he finished his P.G. which he will join in a few months.”


"why the secrecy here?"




“Nandhan’s father is the Dean. It might get him into unnecessary trouble.”




“Any enemies for her? ”




“Priya ? She was everyone’s pet.”


“ May be that’s why she might have had some enemies. And I hope I can talk to her other colleagues here. ”




“Yes sir, we were informed of your request” Anu said deligently.




“Did she say anything about anyone recently that would be worth telling me?”


“A few nights back when we were chatting, she said she felt like someone was watching her. I joked at her that everyone was watching her. It seems like she was right. ” Anu said with heavy heart.


“Did she say who it could be?”.


“No , she just said , Anu akka I feel like someone is watching me. I get these intense feeling that someone is watching me. I get goose bumps .”


“hmm..” The mobile in his pocket called him again. “excuse me,” he said and went away with his phone.


“I am so sorry for your loss Anu,” paval took anu’s hand in hers. Anu broke down. Paval sat with her for a while holding her by the shoulder.


“I just didn’t..I just couldn’t..Oh god..i never thought I would do autopsy on my own friend.”She sobbed again helplessly.


“What did you say? Did you do her autopsy?”


“Well I assisted the senior doctor. But I cut her with a scalpel. Oh dear priya..”


“Anu, sorry but can you detail me more about the result?. It’s something to know from you. Better perception perhaps. Will you?”


Anu shook her head and sat on a chair.”It was a perfect kill”


“What do you mean perfect kill?”


“The murder happened at around 5.00AM. Just one cut. He sliced off her carotid arteries, both of them.”


“It’s something.. a blood vessel which takes blood straight from the heart to the brain. ” she explained to a confused looking paval.


“You cut that, no blood to brain. So practically brain dead, and an instant knock down. You might get really lucky and fall into a coma , but priya was not lucky. She had been left like that for quite some time. In this case, not much time is needed. When the carotid arteries are cut, You loose blood so quickly with high pressure and it is hard to stop. Every time the heart pumps, more blood will come out.”


“oh god!” paval felt sick.


“yes. She looked peaceful though, she died miserably but probably fast.”


“But we couldn’t find any cut wound. She looked perfect, kind of smiling?”


“The carotid arteries go from heart through the side of your neck , closer to your ear and up to the brain. You might have missed out the clean 2 inch sidewise cut made below her ears. And yes she might not have known what was coming, and when it did come she would have had no time to react.”


“So that clears us with one very important point. The killer must be a professional, like a doctor?”paval looked at Anu .


“Anu looked straight with eyes that were devoid of emotions and said ”Yes. The cut was clean , made by a small but very sharp blade.”


“Nothing else?”


“No she was clean. The hair strands were hers and she didn’t put up a fight.”


“I am sorry for asking but.”


“No sexual residues.” anu answered the unasked question.
“ok.”
“Who all are close to Priya here?”


“All the interns know her very well. You can talk to them in a while, when they come to collect their stuff to go home. There are about ten of them who are in her batch. seven of them are female. And she is friendly with everyone here. Even some patients call her by name. You will have to spend a week here if you are to enquire everyone who know her.”


“If that is necessary we will just do that Ms.Anu.”Muthu joined them. He looked like he was contemplating something.


“Anu I was told that you held the autopsy on Priya, is that true?”Muthu demanded.


“Yes sir”


“May I know Why?”


“Sh..she was my friend. I wanted to know what had happened to her.”
“Yes but, isn’t it difficult even for senior doctors to do an autopsy on their loved ones?”


Anu looks distressed and restless “Yes sir”


“Then why?”


Anu looked blanched and dropped her eyes.”I just wanted to be there, just an instinct.” she said meekly.


“was it hard?”Muthu asked in a husky but stern voice.


“Ofcourse it was.”Anu spat out the words indignantly. Paval looked at her boss quizzingly.


“Boss , what happened?”Paval had to jog to cope up with Muthu’s speed.


“Boss?” His serious face broke into an instant grin.


“Well I felt like I was calling my professor whenever I called you sir”


“Good, at least you feel that I am not that old.”


“Ok. Cut the crap. what happened?”


“Wow..woman I am your boss, do I need to keep it pinned on my forehead?”


“Boss, please..”


“Ok..Ok..I just went to the men’s locker room. And guess what I heard?”


“What?”


“Nandhan’s close friends swear on their stethoscope that it was Anu who was or is in love with Nandhan. And we couldn’t reach nandhan though.”


“What?”


“Yep, nobody believes the story of Nandhan – priya. They say they were just friends. The best part is, It was priya who came as the mediator.”


“Oh God. My head is spinning.”Paval looked stunned.


“Then sit down. It might reel soon”


Paval just pushed herself into a nearby plastic chair. Muthu leaned on the pillar next to it.


“Want more? Anu always made sure that priya spent less time with male interns or doctors.”


“It could have been just a maternal feeling”.


“Or just simple pure jealousy.”


“You just said , they were friends. Nandhan and priya.”


“Well yes but, Nandhan has not accepted Anu’s proposal until now.”


Paval kept silent.


“well I just asked one of the doctors to help me talk to her other friends. They will be waiting for us in the canteen. Shall we go?”
Paval exhaled sharply and stood up”Yes sir”


“nope..Yes boss” Muthu winked and walked on.


“well what do you think?”Muthu and Paval were walking towards the Dean’s room now.


“I think most guys like her and girls don’t”


“Yeah, girls never like good things, it’s their nature.”Muthu tantalized her female ego.


“Yeah like men never see beyond skin. Shall we stop this and come to the point?”


“hmm. I am wondering who is the boss here” he teased again and turned serious.


”Right, so the overall conclusion is
Priya - happy go lucky girl, friendly with guys. Happy with girls . A little forgetful in nature. Serious with her studies. Did you find anyone interesting in the group. ?”


“Nope..none.”


“Who else have we got to talk to?”


“Her other friends, The patients she attended, and very importantly Mr. Nandhan.”


“Yes, I think it’s time to call varadhan and ask about nandhan” Muthu made the call and waited for few minutes for the result. He then turned to Paval and said “guess what?”


“He didn’t go to Bangalore ?”paval asked.
“Damn right.”


“That Dean was an arrogant old man. And he refuses anything between his son and priya.“Muthu said.


“Naturally, May be that’s why they didn’t tell him about them yet.” paval suggested.


“We will check out what really happened. Meanwhile why don’t you fill in the autopsy details anu had been telling you.”


Paval and Muthu went down the phenoyl stinking stairs of the GH to the parking. Little did they know that a pair of eyes was watching them.


Day 2: 8.30 AM


Paval was sipping “nayar kadai” cardamom tea. Writer shanmgam was advicing a pickpocket fellow. He was scratching his head irritatedly . Paval smiled and sipped some more tea.


“Tring..tring.”


What could make people call the police station early in the morning?, shanmugam muttered to himself and attended the phone.


“What? Again?”


“What is it annachi?”paval jumped up from her seat.


“Another homicide. Same location.”


“oh..****” Paval dialed for muthu immediately

Comments:

There are 0 comments for Beautiful Corpse - Episode 5

Post a Comment